Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Four C's


When one of my readers told me he needed help finding the perfect engagement ring for his lady, I was more than glad to add my two cents : )

The one thing I have learned about females is that when it comes to rings all they are concerned with is CARAT. Now we smart girls know that there is so much more to a diamond than carat. So fellas when searching for a ring you must remember The Four C's Clarity, Cut, Carat, and Color...

Clarity- While most people are concerned with Carat, Clarity is surprisingly most important. Clarity describes the presence or absence of inclusions (scratches/blemishes) within the diamond. Inclusions interfere with the light that passes through the diamond(like Jay said NO CLOUDS IN MY STONES) The fewer inclusions a diamond has the more rare and valuable it is.

Here's a breakdown of the Clarity Rating Scale

He Loves Me: FL Flawless (shows no inclusions)
Forever & ever: IF Internally Flawless (no inclusions/insignificant surface)
Ring the Alarm: VVS1 Very Very Slightly Included (minor inclusions difficult to see)
This may work: VVS2 Very Slightly Included(minor inclusions slightly see for the trained eye to see)
He Loves Me Not: SI1-SI2 Slightly Included Imperfect (noticeable Inclusions very easy to see)
I Don't: I1, I2, I3, Obvious inclusions by eye/threaten durability

So I bet you thought CUT was the shape "LIKE I SWEAR I WANT THIS PRINCESS CUT DIAMOND RING" LOL SO SILLY...
The CUT determines the brilliance of the diamond, the width and the depth effects how light travels through the diamond...

Carat what size is best
When selecting a carat weight consider your ladies style, the size of her finger, the size of the setting, YOUR BUDGET an most importantly the carat size of her previously engaged girlfriends ring... WHAT, Y'ALL KNOW YOU HATE HAVING THE SMALLER RING :)

CARAT TIP
THE SMALLER THE FINGER THE LARGER THE DIAMOND WILL APPEAR...

COLOR
POSITIVE Diamonds graded J or better are colorless or near-colorless
NEGATIVE The color in diamonds graded K-Z detracts from the beauty of a diamond.

Please visit bluenile.com for more information on making a diamond purchase...

Leah Janell: In My Shoes

4 comments:

WHY IZ H said...

HOT!!!!!!

Leah Janell said...

yeah pretty informative HUH

Ms. Freeman said...

Thanks Leah!!! I conveniently emailed the link to your blog to the boyfriend today. Although I would love "the ring"...I know I am far away from this marriage thing.
BTW- Picking out a ring that has a setting and the center is empty is the most pratical way to upgrade for the future. Your future fiance actually has the option to choose the center stone's cut, size and shape. Many people will actually have to buy another ring to simply upgrade the size of their diamonds. With that said...He better get it right the first time! lol. My girlfriend just went through this disaster. Now her husband has to plan for another ring because her ring can not be upgraded. : (
Thanks Ms. Leah for educating me about the clarity variances...great info!

Leah Janell said...

Wow, the whole upgarde thing is something I never thought about. my dad upgrades my moms ring ever so often but yet he still buys a whole new ring... Hmmmmmm Great to know lady, thanks for the support...

Follow me on Follow me on Twitter Check me out on Check me up on Myspace